If you pay attention to health news, you’ve probably heard about chronic inflammation and all the problems it can cause for otherwise healthy people. Unfortunately, many folks have never even heard of this dangerous condition and should, at the very least, educate themselves about the topic. That way, when they visit a chiropractic physician, they’ll be conversant with the main facts about inflammation and will be able to give a more accurate report to the doctor about any physical problems they’ve been having.
Here are some of the pertinent facts about chronic inflammation:
- When the body’s immune system gets out of balance, the result can be inflammation. If you take antibiotics, don’t get enough sleep, eating an unbalanced diet, having too much stress in your life, using tobacco products, drinking too much alcohol, consuming a diet high in carbohydrates, and other factors can cause chronic inflammation.
- Some amount of inflammation is normal and healthy. In fact, it’s one of the ways that the body acts to protect itself. Inflammation becomes unhealthy and dangerous when it gets out of control and begins to rapidly increase.
- In most cases, you won’t even suspect that you suffer from chronic inflammation until a doctor informs you that you have a particular illness that is closely related to the condition. For example, people who have multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis usually are suffering from chronic inflammation as well.
What To Look For
There is no need to wait until you develop a serious disease to discover and treat chronic inflammation. The good news is that there are multiple signs and symptoms that will alert you to the fact that you likely have the problem. Those signs and symptoms can include any of the following:
- Chest or sinus congestion
- Stiffness in any limb of the body or in the torso area
- Unexpected and unexplained weight gain
- Noticeable indigestion
- The tendency to develop infections on a regular basis
- Joint pain in one or several areas
- Asthma and various kinds of allergies
- A general sense of lethargy and fatigue
- Various skin disorders
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Unexpected bouts of shortness of breath
- High blood pressure
What Chiropractors Can Do For Chronic Inflammation
Your best strategy for dealing with chronic inflammation is to see a chiropractor. According to various scientific studies, spinal adjustments are able to decrease the body’s supply of two substances that lead to inflammation. Once those two chemicals are gone, you can notice a reduction in inflammation in multiple areas of your body. Additionally, your chiropractor can show you other methods for fighting against chronic inflammation so as to prevent a recurrence of this troublesome condition.
Chiropractors often help their patients by showing them lifestyle strategies for minimizing inflammation. These techniques include approaches like eating a diet that helps ward off inflammation, getting the proper nutrients to keep your entire anatomy in good working order. Dietary choices that have been shown to reduce inflammation include fish, vegetables, lean meats, fresh fruits, magnesium supplements, and vitamin D.
As your health partner, your chiropractor will likely suggest some of the following well-known strategies for reducing chronic inflammation, each of which is considered a “lifestyle” technique for controlling the condition:
- Eat the right stuff: Focus on adding things like fish, walnuts, blueberries, salmon, tofu, soybeans, celery, ginger, garlic, tea, olive oil, and grapes to your regular diet. There’s no need to go overboard because no single food is a magic bullet against inflammation. Add foods like these over time and you’ll be assisting your body with its work.
- Don’t eat the wrong stuff: While you’re focusing on the positive, by adding the good stuff to your diet, it also helps to avoid the negative. That means refraining from eating red meat, corn oil, fried foods, processed foods, and margarine. They’re not poison and won’t kill you if you eat them, but they are unhealthy, especially in the long-run, and have the potential to bring on a bout of chronic inflammation.
- Get exercise: What is the “right amount” of exercise for battling chronic inflammation? For many adults who don’t have other serious health problems, the goal includes about 30 minutes of aerobic exercise about 4 or more times each week, and about 20 minutes of resistance training 4 or more times per week. Again, there’s no magic formula or exact amount of exercise that will turn your life around and rid you of every physical problem in existence. But, if you want to keep chronic inflammation at bay, begin to take your exercise seriously by following a regular program.
- Control your weight: Here’s a very simple formula for those who like exactitude: If you are overweight, your chances of having to deal with chronic inflammation are greatly increased. If you get rid of excess weight, you stand a much better chance of having no problem with chronic inflammation. It’s not about losing x number of pounds within a certain time-frame or having a certain percentage of lean muscle versus a certain percentage of fat. Most people instinctively know if they are overweight. Simply eliminating junk and processed foods from your life will go a long way toward bringing your body weight into a normal, healthy range.
- Manage your overall stress level: Make time to relax every day and avoid stressful situations. It’s even a good idea to make “meditation appointments” with yourself for five- or ten-minute sessions several times each day. Meditation and yoga stretches are ideal ways to help us learn to deal with the inevitable stress in life. Don’t focus on getting rid of all stress because we need a certain amount to stay healthy. Plus, we can’t avoid some stressful situations. The key is learning to deal with whatever stress we face and learning how to respond in a more balanced, calm way. Yoga, meditation, and visualization can help.
Get Started On the Road to Good Health
The chiropractic physicians at Spinal Health and Wellness often deal with patients who suffer from chronic inflammation. They can help you too. The road to excellent health begins with a thorough exam.
Our doctors will take your medical history, speak with you about any physical problems you’re facing, and examine you in the chiropractic office. After developing a complete diagnosis, the doctor will discuss your options with you, offer some advice about the best way to proceed, and let you make the final decision about whether to pursue a treatment plan or not.
We’re happy to answer your questions about chiropractic medicine and your particular health over the phone. Feel free to call us and make an appointment for an exam at your convenience. We look forward to speaking with you and becoming your partner on the journey to optimum health. Don’t let chronic inflammation or any other ailment interfere with your life. Take the first steps on the path to wellness today.